City of Parchment Fire Department
Posting of Paid-On-Call Fire Chief
Title: Fire Chief
Workforce: Paid-On-Call Fire Department
Service Area: Approximately 1 square mile and about 1830 residents
Salary: $ 513.09 monthly
$ 9.25 hourly/admin rate per call
$ 15.9075 hourly on-call rate
Benefits Package: None
Send Applications to:
Parchment City Manager
650 S Riverview Drive
Parchment MI 49004
269-492-3263 – Nancy Stoddard
Purpose of the Position: Plans, organizes, and administers the operations of a municipal fire department under the direction of the City Manager.
Scope: Performs highly responsible supervisory and administrative work in planning, organizing, and directing all activities of the Fire Department. Work involves responsibility for the administration and coordination of all Fire Department activities and the establishment of departmental policies, procedures, and regulations including those pertaining to EMS, firefighting and fire prevention operating standards, within the limitation of laws, regulations, and policies from higher authority. Work is performed under the administrative direction of the City Manager and is reviewed primarily in the broad interest of ensuring fire and life safety and prevention activities for the City.
Essential Job Functions: The Fire Chief may be called upon to do any or all of the following.
Plans and supervises the operation of the Fire Department, coordinating all functions and activities.
Develops long-term plans for improving and maintaining efficient operations.
Recommends policies to maintain effective controls for enforcing laws and ordinances, and to promote and ensure better public safety from fire and other emergencies.
Issues orders to subordinate officers and firefighters for execution.
Supervises the assignment of personnel and equipment and the requisitioning of materials, supplies, and equipment.
Prepares correspondence, records, and reports.
Supervises the maintenance, repair, and replacement of firefighting equipment, facilities and other property of the Fire Department.
Directs programs on fire prevention, including inspection, investigation and the enforcement of Federal, State and local laws.
Responds as needed to emergency incidents, take command and direct operations at the scene of major fire or emergency incidents.
Provides excellent internal and external customer service.
Recommends policies and actions to the City Manager and confer regarding various practices and procedures.
Attends Department, City Commission and other City meetings as needed.
The Ideal Candidate
All of the following functions, qualifications, knowledge, skills, abilities, and duties are essential. An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following:
- Thorough knowledge of firefighting/ rescue/EMS strategy and tactics.
- Must live within 3 miles of the city of Parchment.
- Ability to plan, assign and coordinate the work group of employees engaged in fire prevention and fire control activities. Thorough knowledge of the National Incident Management System.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal fire administration.
- Ability to prepare and maintain department budget.
- Ability to maintain discipline, to lead and command personnel effectively under emergency firefighting conditions.
- Physically active.
- Initiative and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Ability to work effectively with other city officials, and the general public.
- Ability to work effectively under stress.
- Possess skill in operating modern office computer equipment and software.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in fire science, management or related field from an accredited college or university is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of increasingly greater command responsibility in fire suppression, prevention, training and administration; fifteen (15) years fire-fighting experience; knowledge of State laws relative to labor and hazardous materials, and modern fire-fighting techniques and methods.
- Attainment of Federal NIMS requirements.
- Fire Officer III State certification.
- Maintain valid Michigan driver’s license with a good driving record.
- State of Michigan Firefighter II certified.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Maintain a positive attitude with the ability to lead by example.