City of Parchment Fire Department
Posting of Paid-On-Call Fire Chief
Title: Fire Chief, Part-Time
Workforce: Paid-On-Call Fire Department
Service Area: Approximately 1 square mile, 1800 residents and 170 calls for service per year.
Salary: $ 513.09 monthly stipend
$ 9.25 hourly/admin rate per call
$ 15.9075 hourly response rate
Benefit Package: None
Applications: Applications must be received by February 28, 2019
Purpose of the Position: Plans, organizes, and administers the operations of a municipal fire department under the direction and supervision of the City Manager.
All examples of work, essential job functions and employment qualifications listed in this posting are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed in this position.
Examples of Work:
- Perform highly responsible supervisory and administrative work while planning, organizing, and managing all fire department activities.
- Responsible for the administration and coordination of all fire department emergency response, training and general activities.
- Develop and manage departmental policies, procedures, and regulations including those pertaining to EMS, firefighting and fire prevention operating standards, within the limitation of laws, regulations and policies from higher authority.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plan and supervise the operations of the fire department by coordinating all functions, activities, and training.
- Oversee the maintenance of all fire department records such as personnel, training, payroll and incident response.
- Develop long term plans for improving and maintaining effective operations.
- Recommend policies and procedures to maintain effective control of enforcing laws and ordinances, and to promote and ensure better public safety from fire and other emergencies.
- Supervise the assignment of personnel and equipment and the requisitioning of materials, supplies and equipment.
- Prepare correspondence, records, and reports as required.
- Plan and coordinate work assignments of employees engaged in fire department activities.
- Supervise the maintenance, repair, and replacement of firefighting equipment, facilities and other property of the fire department.
- Direct programs on fire prevention, including inspection, investigation and the enforcement of Federal, State and local laws.
- Respond as needed to emergency incidents. Take command and directs operations at the scene of major fires or emergency incidents.
- Provide excellent internal and external customer service.
- Prepare and maintain department budget.
- Maintain discipline and direct personnel and assets effectively under emergency firefighting conditions.
- Work effectively with other city officials and the general public.
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of paid on-call fire department personnel.
- Attends Department, City Commission and other City meetings as needed.
All of the following qualifications, knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and duties are essential job functions of the position. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively more responsible firefighting experience.
- A minimum of five years of progressively more responsible fire department supervisory and administrative experience.
- Live within a 3 mile radius of the City of Parchment Fire Department.
- Possess skill in operating modern office computer equipment and software.
- Possession of an Associate’s Degree in fire science, management or related field from an accredited college or university is preferred.
- Knowledge of State laws relative to labor, hazardous materials and modern firefighting techniques and methods.
- Attainment of Federal NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 and 800 certifications.
- Thorough knowledge of firefighting/ rescue/EMS strategy and tactics.
- Considerable knowledge of municipal fire administration.
- Ability to work effectively under stress.
- State of Michigan Fire Officer III certification.
- Maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license with good driving record.
- State of Michigan Firefighter II certification.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Maintain positive attitude with the ability to lead by example.
Applications may be sent to:
Parchment City Manager
650 S Riverview Drive
Parchment MI 49004
269-492-3263 – Nancy Stoddard
To apply for this job please visit www.parchment.org.