The best way to protect yourself and your family, and to stop the spread of viruses such as the flu, common cold and COVID-19 include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. If not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (containing at least 60% alcohol).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick and contact your healthcare provider.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
People should be diligent about preventing flu since there have been thousands of influenza-like illnesses reported throughout the county. Individuals within the United States are still at a higher risk of getting the flu than COVID-19. If you have not received your flu shot, it is highly encouraged you do so now.
Right now, there are no additional precautions recommended for the general public in the United States.