Effective June 1, 2009, the following changes were made to residential recycling, allowing numerous other plastics to be recycled: commingled container recycling consists of plastic, glass and metal CONTAINERS that are usually generated in the kitchen, bathroom or laundry room and NOT a garage.
Plastics #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 are now acceptable as follows:
- #1 – pop, water, flavored beverage bottles (clear and green).
- #2 – milk, juice, laundry detergent and fabric softener containers.
- #3 – Narrow neck containers only – household cleaners, health & beauty bottles.
- #4 – Grocery containers: margarine tubs, frozen dessert cups, 6-pack rings.
- #5 – Grocery containers: yogurt cups, syrup (narrow neck), ketchup bottles.
- #7 – Other narrow neck containers only.
PLEASE NOTE: All containers should be emptied and rinsed clean; no motor oil, insecticide, herbicide, or hazardous chemical containers. Plastic grocery/shopping bags should be returned to grocery or department stores. No Styrofoam of any kind or clear polystyrene #6. Juice boxes and milk and juice containers are accepted.
A copy of these guidelines is available at City Hall or at www.MiRecycling.com.
- Holiday Recycling Tips! What to do with wrapping paper, bubble wrap, gift bags and more
- Click to Download a Residential Recycling Brochure
- Solid Waste and Utility Rates and Fees, 2016-17
- Solid Waste Resolution 2017
- 2017 Spring Clean Up/Bulk Pick Up Rules
- LIVE CHRISTMAS TREES: Unadorned trees (free of tinsel and ornaments) are recyclable and should be placed next to recycling bins, but not inside any Republic bins. Trees will actually be picked up by the garbage driver but removed at the Transfer Station for Recycling as not to contaminate items already designated as recycling. You may put unadorned trees out for pickup each Wednesday of January; January 25, 2017 at 8am being the last day. Trees cannot be placed inside of any carts or Republic will not be able to take it and as always, pickup ends the last Wednesday of January.
Garbage is picked up every Wednesday and must be to the curb by 8AM with no exceptions. Pickups falling on or after one of the following holidays will be one day late. If the holiday falls on Saturday or Sunday, there will be no delay in your collection. The following holidays are observed: New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The City has an exclusive contract for waste removal and recycling which provides significant savings to our residents. It also offers you the convenience of addressing your concerns to City Hall who will act as liaison with waste removal personnel. Only trash that fits in the bin with the lid securely fastened is picked up. Any extra waste must be put into specially marked bags available at City Hall.
- Garbage (every Wednesday - cart must be out by 8AM) but cannot permanently
remain at the curb. No carts should ever be placed in the roadway.
- Recycling (every other Wednesday, cart must be out by 8AM).
- 95 gallon Yard Waste Container (every Wednesday April 1 – November 30).
Contact City Hall if interested.
- Once a year bulk trash pickup April 26 – 27 (once through the City each day).
- Bulk Trash Tags $12.00
- 30 gallon Grass/Yard Waste Bags $6.50
Please bag as much trash as possible and put all trash in your cart. Keep your cart at least three feet from any object such as cars, light posts, trees, mailboxes, recycle and yard waste carts. Placing your cart with the opening towards the road will help Republic to close the lid properly and helps placement when setting it down. City Ordinance requires your cart at the curb no earlier than 8 PM Tuesday and returned no later than 8PM Wednesday. State law prohibits the commingling of yard waste and garbage. Waste Services will not pick up more trash than can fit in each bin with the lid closed. Any extra waste must be put into specially marked bags available at City Hall. Hazardous items are not picked up and you should call the Household Hazardous Waste Center at 373-5211 for information. All questions, comments and problems should be directed to Parchment City Hall by calling 349-3785. The Solid Waste Agreement contract calls for any issues to be handled within 48 hours.
Make-A-Wish of Michigan can tow away, auction off, and recycle old cars free of charge. Proceeds benefit Make-A-Wish of Michigan.